FSSAI Reported Quality Issues In Processed Milk

0

Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) stated on November 13, 2018, that large quantity of processed milk was found to be low in quality with sugar and maltodextrin

Milk is a majorly consumed food product in dairy segment of food and beverage industry. It is safe in India after imposition of strict food safety rules and regulations by government. However, quality issues still persist. The report of the National Milk Quality Survey 2018, released by FSSAI on report that among all the samples analyzed, slightly less than 10% had contaminants coming mainly from poor farm practices.

As a part of survey, the apex food regulator analyzed around 6432 samples on four quality parameters, 12 adulterants including vegetable oil, detergents, glucose and urea; and four contaminants, 93 antibiotics residues, 18 pesticides residues, Aflatoxin M1 and Ammonium Sulphate. The survey was conducted over a period of six months between May to October, 2018. At least 41% (2607) samples were for processed milk and remaining 59% (3825) were of raw milk. Of the processed milk, 60% were toned milk, 20% full-cream milk, 15% standard milk and 5% double toned milk. Of the raw milk, one third each were samples of cow, buffalo and mixed milk.

Results of the survey reported that non-compliance on fat and solid nonfat (SNF) quality parameters is higher in raw milk (sourced directly from milkman) as compared to processed milk. According to the survey report, around 5.7% of the samples reported presence of Aflatoxin (toxic carcinogen)- at levels above the permissible limit. Although, occurrence of Aflatoxin does not amount to willful adulteration, it is directly related to feed quality and has bearing on human health. Furthermore, adulterant such as ammonium sulphate can cause complex respiratory problems and it was detected in 3% samples of milk, as ammonium compounds including ammonium sulphate are added to feed to enhance protein intake of animals.

Share.

Comments are closed.